Sep 18, 2009

Blot Your Lips!

Photo:  Melran. Etsy
"Blot Your Lips!" is about living life beautifully - hearts set ablaze. Words. Images. Inspiration.  It's also about chasing an impossible dream that took me from a small Bible Belt town to Hollywood.

The name, "Blot Your Lips!" came from my first TV job fresh out of journalism school.  I was hired as a reporter at a midwestern NBC affiliate that was surrounded by cornfields. Really. 

On slow news days - when a tornado didn't rip through a mobile home park or a freight train derail - I would catch up on notes from viewers with our evening anchor, Pam. 

One viewer wanted to make sure she got our attention.  She had mailed a crisply-folded white Kleenex with these words written on it in bold, red marker: "Honey, blot your lips!"  Below the words, she had demonstrated the perfect blotting technique.

Instead of throwing the note away, Pam pinned it up on our newsroom  bulletin board. She wanted to keep it as a reminder to check each other's makeup and hair before we went on air.  Our station was too small to afford stylists so we were on our own.

Some nights we would simply ask each other, "Blot?"  It was our code for, "Do I look ok?"

Pam taught me that we don't have to be enemies even if we're competing for the same spotlight. And she taught me how to stay beautiful even when people do ugly things to pull you down.

I hope she kept that Kleenex. And I hope here you will find words, images, inspiration that set your heart ablaze.

www.facebook.com/shayholland

1 comment: