Sep 19, 2012

Red Carpet Ready - Part 2

Good news:  received our Emmy tickets.  Bad news:  still haven't found a gown.  Seems like I've tried on every dress in LA - driving miles in 100 degree heat just to be zipped and cinched like a Hefty sack.

Raised in the Baptist South, fashion and makeup were not priorities. The few style lessons we were taught included: 

1. Avoid red lipstick; people will think you're a whore
2. ALWAYS make sure your skirt hem covers the knee
3. Exposed cleavage? that is the unpardonable sin (raising a tomboy who wouldn't be caught dead showing cleavage probably saved my parents a heart attack) 

While I outgrew overalls and learned to 'paint my face,' I'm not sure the Baptists were totally off base in thinking that caked on makeup was an attempt to mask poor self-esteem or that splurging on exorbitant fads was wasted opportunity to help the needy.

But after working in Hollywood, I've come to find a balance between the Baptists and the beauty-makers.  Seeing a makeup artist transform a face or a fashion designer create a garment out of shapeless fabric is as inspiring as when any artist turns the ordinary into the divine.
Emmy host Jimmy Kimmel and execs roll out the red carpet for Sunday's show
Fortunately we have stylists for the Emmys. I might even go strapless. Or wear red lipstick. Yes, my Baptist friends may feel the need to host an intervention.
--
Check out photos of my road to the red carpet here.

www.facebook.com/shayholland

No comments:

Post a Comment